News & Announcements
Thank you for
visiting our web site and for caring about the plight of the carriage
horses. There are many sections on this site to visit to
help you learn more about this issue:
- If you are a tourist to our fair city -- WELCOME! Please click here to find out more.
- On May 11, 2009, the NYC Bar Association's committee on Legal Issues Pertaining to Animals hosted a program called "Yay or Neigh: Should the carriage industry be banned in NYC?" The panel included Holly Cheever, DVM; Elizabeth Forel, Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages; Donny Moss, documentary film maker, Blinders; Stacy Wolf, ASPCA; and Martha Robinson, Department of Health and Welfare and Council Member Tony Avella. Click here to read Holly Cheever's presentation. Click here to read Elizabeth Forel's presentation (in part.)
- Read much of the testimony that was given at the public hearing of the City Council Committee on Consumer Affairs on January 30th. Click here.
- Find out why there should be a ban of this industry in New York City.
- Learn why horses should not be in the park
- What will happen to the horses…
- Read the many Letters-to-the-Editor published in newspapers.
- You can learn about our volunteer opportunities.
- Read the existing regulations covering this industry so you will be aware of what is or is not legal.
- You can sign the on line petition. Please note that this number does not reflect the thousands of signatures we have gotten from paper petitions.
- You can see videos about this issue
- Under Carriage Horse Issues – find out about the history, expert opinions, horse slaughter and other related issues
- Sign up for our weekly e-mailed newsletter. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read press releases on the subject of horse-drawn carriages
We are an all volunteer organization. If you would like to donate to this cause to help us allay our campaign expenses, please click here. Any amount is greatly appreciated.
Intro 658, the bill to ban horse-drawn carriages, was introduced by Council member Tony Avella in December 2007. (See Title 17-327, which repeals all provisions allowing for the operation of horse drawn cabs.)
The following Council Members have signed on as co-sponsors. If your Council Member is not among them, please contact him or her and ask them to sign on. Go to the City Council web site at www.council.gov and enter your address to find your Council Member.
Maria Del Carmen Arroyo
Melissa Mark Viverito
A Committee of the Coalition For New York City Animals, Inc.
The Coalition for
NYC Animals, Inc.
P.O. Box 20247
Park West Station
New York, NY 10025
Bobby II Freedom
former NYC carriage horse previously known as Billy ID# 2873 rescued by the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages and Equine Advocates on June 25, 2010 from the New Holland auctions.